Fall in love with this easy-to-make tortilla soup! You’ll be glad you gave it a shot! This stew makes well over 6 servings and kicks a cold to the curb!
How you can make this soup:
- 2 Tablespoons of Canola Oil
- 3 Large Carrots
- Two large white onions
- 1 can of unsalted black beans
- 1 can or box of crushed tomatoes
- 1 can of corn
- 1 portion of pre-bagged rice. (I’m using Basmati)
- Chili Powder, Garlic Salt, Tony Chacheres(or other creole seasoning), and Cumin
- Optional: Shredded chicken breast, low fat sour cream, or your favorite hot sauce
Chop onion and carrots into relatively large peices. I suggest you chop them different sizes for texture purposes.
In a pan over medium heat sauté onion and carrot; roughly 3-4 minutes.
Add the can of crushed tomatoes, can of black beans (rinsed and drained), and can of corn (rinsed and drained).
Add your favorite spices.
Add enough water to cover the ingredients and bring to a boil. Boil on medium-high until the soup begins to turn an orange-y color (about 20 minutes). This ensures the tomatoes are not bitter and acidic in flavor.
Cut open and add in 1 pre-portioned bag of your favorite rice (about 3/4 cup of loose rice). Cook the soup with the rice for the specified time on it’s packaging.
Let the soup cool and serve. This recipe is versatile and can be adapted to a non-vegan recipe. Top with shredded chicken breast, sour cream, and a few dashes of hot sauce for a delicious addition!
Nutrition Info for Vegan-Version: